Monday, March 16, 2009

Scotland

I’m always rambling on about Sweden and how great it is to have gotten out of that cesspool, but sometimes you need to step back and see what’s going on around you to. The main reason why I write so little about Scotland or Great Britain is that I’m a guest here and I know from experience that people don’t like it when foreigners speak ill of the country they are in, even if it is the truth. Because there are a lot of stupid idiotic things going on here too; like higher prices on alcohol which Scottish politicians, like so many other politicians in history, thinks is a good idea. It’s idiotic, have never work to lower drinking problems and never will, but they still try the same stupidity over and over. Kings have tried it; Emperors have tried it; the Soviet Union tried it, never worked. In America when they tried it, people drank like never before and never since and it gave birth to the modern mafia and people like Al Capone. So it’s stupid, but it is government, and government, no matter if you are in Sweden or in Scotland, have the same lunacy attached to it.

But back to my experience of this country. I have been here long enough now to make a first judgment. And even if it is not great, it’s far better than Sweden. Not because it’s richer, it’s not. And not only because I’m happy to live somewhere else then in my birth nation. No, it’s because the atmosphere is different. People are nicer; you say “thanks” or “cheers” even to bus drivers, which hardly ever happens in Sweden. You can buy vodka at every corner pretty much whenever you feel like it (so far I might add). Here in Scotland they also have those beautiful buildings that look more like castles then houses. And there is a feel to everything that feels like class even when it’s not. Might be that English (Scottish rather) accent that feels posh in some way. Things are a lot cheaper then I’m used to and then we have the word “wee” which is soooo cute. Sorry all you macho manly Scotts out there, but it is. Instead of “little” or “small” they use the word “wee”. And it is adorable! Feels like you ended up in some fairytale or something. And I know it sounds corny, but it feels like that. “May I have a wee bit more please...”

Another thing that is great here, at least before the great depression hits this place in a year or so, is that taxes are low and you can actually afford things without taking a loan, which is hardly ever the case in Sweden. It is not really as cheap as in Estonia, were I also have lived, but close to it. And medical care and dentist are free! Even in Sweden with it’s incredibly taxes aren’t that generous.

But there are some downsides, my neighbor for instance insists on singing every time he goes outside to smoke. Stupid idiot. Bugs my alcohol intake to listen to that horrible voice. But so far I love it here, I might go look for somewhere warmer in the future, but for now I’m content and if you ever are in the Greenock/Glasgow area, give me a holler.

2 comments:

  1. Damn, I need to get out of Sweden. But in my own defense - I actually greet the busdriver, even in Sweden, were people look like they are constantly chewing on a week-old lemon...

    ReplyDelete